Dundonald Primary School History and Archive
At the Heart of the Community since 1844
Dundonald Primary School has been in existence since the middle of the nineteenth century and therefore holds many family connections with the area. At one time it was the only school for the village. The school population has been housed in three different buildings during its lifetime and moved into a fourth building in May 2006. The new school building sits in landscaped grounds covering approximately seven acres. One classroom from the third school building was retained and is now our Nursery Unit.
The school has a staffing complement of Principal, Vice Principal, 38 teachers and 52 support staff.
We have a very supportive Board of Governors, some of whom attended the school as pupils. Many have served for more than one term in office. An excellent PTA which works very hard each year to raise money for equipment.
The school maintains excellent communication with parents via Parent Mail and a school facebook account. Key information is also available on the website. We have an open door policy at DPS and if parents have a concern they are encouraged to make an appointment to talk with the Principal /Vice-Principal or their child's class teacher. Parent/Teacher interviews, school-based courses and information nights are also held throughout the school year.
Excellent transition links have been established with both pre-school and post-primary educational providers. We enroll our Primary 1 pupils from as many as 18 pre-school providers and we send pupils to between 15 and 20 different post-primary schools.